Random Thoughts of a Teenage Sports Fan
My name is Julius Ayala. I was recently invited to do this blogging thing with my good friends, and I naturally accepted. If I put in the work for school that I do following sports, or more correctly, if I had half the passion for school as I did sports, I'd be Harvard bound. But alas, I was born like many others, and so here I am, writing a blog instead of doing irrelevant physics homework. I'm not sure how formulaic to be here, or what doctrine to play by, so I'm just going to wing it. These are my random thoughts as a teenage sports fan. Cheers.It's Striking
Watching the Wizards and Bulls play ball, you're going to see two disciplined, tough, talented teams playing the game of basketball. Rose and Wall are undoubtedly an intriguing match up, though with the play of Rose, not the same draw as in the past. Two of the elite eastern conference teams playing each other in itself likely holds bigger implications towards April. It's pleasant basketball. But what jumps out to me are the Bigs of each team. They're good. Damn good. And they play like bigs.
Chicago has the best three man big rotation in the NBA in Noah, Gasol, and Gibson. All three are All-Star caliber players, and even with Noah's injuries, are frightening players. Gibson plays with an ungodly amount of energy on both ends of the floor. Noah brings all the intangibles you want from your defensive anchor. Gasol's experiencing a late career renaissance.
Washington hosts an impressive front court as well. Nene is your above average, damn it please stay healthy big man who rebounds, defends the post and paint, and can dunk the ball and run up and down the floor. Marcin Gortat is of the same ilk of Nene, a better shot blocker and overall better player with a soft touch around the hoop. Say what you will about Humprhies as well; he doesn't get pushed around by people not with the last name Kardashian.
What makes these bigs even more striking is that my team, the Miami Heat, lack a big of the same talents of any of the names I threw out. Let's address the elephant(or dinosaur, I suppose) in the room, Chris Bosh. I love Bosh. He's more talented, to me, than any of the people I listed, save perhaps Gasol or a healthy Noah. But the benefits Bosh gives a team is just different than what Gortat gives you, which is interior presence and aggressiveness inside. Bosh is an elite pick and roll defender, pick and popper, has 3 point range, has a great first step for a big(that he does not utilize enough), and plays with a system. But Bosh is not going to bang with Zach Randolph, block shots like Dwight, clog the lane like Bogut, or rebound like Deandre Jordan.
And Bosh doesn't have too. If he could, along with the talents he has, he'd be an every season MVP candidate and living legend. But the Heat need someone who can do that, at least attempt to replicate the stuff Gortat, Nene, and all the bigs I mentioned do. Get us some extra offensive rebounds and possessions, block shots to lead into transition. These bigs are rare in the NBA, and very expensive, regardless of actual skill and prowess. And Washington and the Bulls are stocked at these positions, and look to make deep playoff runs.
We don't have much of anything to trade right now. Mind throwing us one of your bigs, Wizards or Bulls? I'd be eternally grateful for you, and so would our rebounding numbers. Just think about it.
Quick Hits
- In regards to the Heat's big man situation, Hasan Whiteside has been a revelation of sorts, and I'm hoping it lasts. Whiteside, 25 years old and a 3 year league vet, played in a total of 19 games before this season, and was largely irrelevant, but if he keeps his play up, you will know his name, He blocks better than anyone on the Heat roster, trys at interior defense, has great energy, and you can't teach 7 feet.
- I hope the Clippers hold up; I love CP3, Doc, Blake, and I picked them to upset the Spurs in the Western Conference this year. Looking bleak at this point, but, hey, the NBA's crazy.
- The Trailblazers are still not getting past the 2nd round in the West. I love Dame Lillard, but hopefully he can learn defense. He's Harden level, if not in effort applied, than in defensive fundamentals.
- Don't sleep on the Grizz. They have the mental and physical fortitude to hang with any team, in any building. They play tough defense, but this is the first season I remember where they ranked in the top 10 in offensive.
No comments:
Post a Comment